I’ve worked with a lot of writers while running my article writing service, and I’ve spent the past year perfecting a content writing checklist that works for our team. This is the exact checklist our writers use to make sure every article is well-written and SEO optimized.
You can view the checklist below and save a copy for yourself from this Google Doc.
- Conversational tone – Keep it simple
- Use strong verbs and adjectives
- Use trigger words to evoke emotion and grab attention
- Use second person voice to make it personal – you, your, yours
- Used a compelling title and one of the keywords at the start of the title – “Best Headphones: The Ultimate Guide” is better than “The Ultimate Guide to the Best Headphones”
- Used keywords in headings when possible
- 0.5% keyword density (5 times per 1,000 words)
- Used keyword at least once within the first 200 words of the article
- Used keyword in the last paragraph of the article
- Linked to valuable external content (3 – 4 external links)
- Linked to internal content 3-4 (if provided)
- Read the post out loud to make sure it flows and is free of errors.
- Ensured titles are attention-grabbing?
- Ensured the opening line grabs the reader’s attention?
- Does the opening paragraph keep the reader’s attention?
- Is the post interesting and unique?
- Is the scannable with clearly defined sections and headers?
- Are complicated terms defined?
- Is the post actionable?
- Do the images fit the post?
- Do the images add value?
- Have you double-checked the spelling and grammar?
- Did you verify active voice is used whenever possible?
- Have any unnecessary words been removed?
- Verified the tense is consistent throughout the post?
- Verified all factual information sourced and cited correctly?
Put this checklist to the test on your next piece of content. I guarantee it will come in handy.